Mutt time/date display

I use Mutt for my mailer, and I currently have it set up to display
the time and date of incoming messages like "09:23 Sep 12".  This is
ok, but it's not the information than I like to have for every message.
What I would like to do is display only the time for messages I've
received today, only the day of the week for messages I've received
this calendar week, the month abbreviation and day of month for
messages I've received this year, and the month and year for remaining
messages.  This is similar to how ls -l displays file date/times.
>From what I've been able to determine, the "index_format" is static
and not capable of performing this sort of logic.  Is there some sort
of index_display_hook or some other way of doing this?