Re: 3com problem

Quoting Michael Smith (rybolov@authtrans.com):
> The 3c59x module is built into the kernel, just configure your network and it will
> work.  You do not have to load any modules.  There should be a multiple-line entry
> when the box starts up and the NIC is identified.  This system works so slick that I

Something is very wrong with my system then. Here are a selection of
lines captured from a potato installation:

LILO Loading Linux....................
Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
Linux version 2.2.17 (herbert@arnor) (gcc version 2.95.2 20000313 (Debian GNU/Linux)) #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000
Detected 132956 kHz processor.
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 265.42 BogoMIPS
Memory: 29712k/32768k available (1732k kernel code, 416k reserved, 768k data, 140k init)
[...]
Calculating module dependencies... done.
eth0: 3Com 3c905 Boomerang 100baseTx at 0xff00,  00:60:08:0b:b5:dd, IRQ 10
  8K word-wide RAM 3:5 Rx:Tx split, MII interface.
  MII transceiver found at address 24, status 786d.
  Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.

Checking all file systems...
[...]
Starting portmap daemon: portmap.

Setting the System Clock using the Hardware Clock as reference...
System Clock set. Local time: Fri Sep 29 15:40:46 BST 2000

Cleaning: /tmp /var/lock /var/run.

That looks very like a 3c59x module being loaded there.

Cheers,