Re: Simulating a mouse

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 01:03:20AM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 12:03:26AM -0400, Chris Gray (cgray@tribsoft.com) wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 01:25:28AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > > In the longer term I'd like to keep my need to move from the keyboard to
> > > the mouse as low as possible, to slow the onset of things like RSI. I
> > > was wondering if any disabled Linux users had come up with anything
> > > (remembering that Windows has something like "MouseKeys", not that I
> > > ever needed it while I was still using Windows).
> >
> > You can hit <Shift + Num_Lock> to get something like MouseKeys using the
> > number pad.
>
> Where the heck is this documented?  I think I knew it once, but I
> must've forgotted it before I was born.

Me too.  I know I've seen it documented somewhere, but I couldn't find
it anywhere.  Eventually, I found it by trying modifiers with the Num
Lock key.

> Playing with keypad plus modifiers, it seems that hitting a <shift> key
> various times effects the accelleration of pointer movement.  Or maybe
> not.  The '5' and '+' keys appear to emulate mouse button 1 (left).  I
> can't find my middle and right mouse button equivalents.  Anyone?
> Diagonal movement works, though, which is cool.

I think it's a bit more complicated than that.  The 5 key seems to
change meaning depending on whether the /, *, or - key was hit before
it.  The shift key does seem to speed up the pointer.  Damn, I wish I
could find those docs.

Cheers,
Chris

--
It is much easier to be critical than to be correct.
		-- Benjamin Disraeli