Re: Article: Debian's Daunting Installation

> RedHat, Mandrake, and SuSE are all quite easy to install and start
> using. I find they only get difficult later on when you need to fix
> something that broke, or want to upgrade. They can also become a real
> mess if you install un-official packages.

yes that's basically the problem with easy to install (as in GUI) distros.
what's being done is hidden from the user by Gooey.

> Debian and FreeBSD are both easy to install, easy to start using, and
> easy to maintain. You can stick to a stable branch, or you can track the
> bleeding edge. I actually prefer FreeBSD for its ports system and cvsup.
> But FreeBSD is a source-based distro, where Linux is binary
> distribution.

agree.  as this two *nix don't have pretty faces to hide what's going on
you're in control.
i like both *nix as they share (somewhat) the same package management idea.
apt-get or cvsup anything you want!