Re: Debian Australian mirror @ mirror.aarnet

Brian May wrote :

>     Damon> When it's working mirror.aarnet.edu.au is hard to go
>     Damon> past, but if it aint doing it for you, ftp.monash.edu.au
>     Damon> (accessable by http) also mirrors debian. I presume it
>     Damon> has woody, it certainly has potato.
>
>     Damon> If your're on any edu.au, monash should be nice and fast
>     Damon> over AARNet I would guess (I'm on unimelb.edu.au, and it
>     Damon> flies), but I don't know anything closer to Canberra.
>
> I think Monash mirrors it from AARNet...
>
> (ie. so if AARNet is broken, Monash probably will be broken, too)
>
> Anyone confirm or deny?

Yes, Monash mirrors from AARNet.

I used to look after the Linux mirroring when I worked at Monash (I
left last June) - I set it up originally to mirror from the US, but
when mirror.aarnet.edu.au got started I was persuaded to mirror from
them.

> As for AARNet - problems seem to come and go all the time. It should
> get fixed soon.

I had another look at the mirror list on the weekend and noticed
there's an ftp.wa.au.debian.org that *is* up to date.

On my Telstra ADSL link, I see this :

% netselect -vv mirror.aarnet.edu.au ftp.wa.au.debian.org
mirror.aarnet.edu.au                    48 ms  10 hops   50% ok ( 5/10) [  194]
ftp.wa.au.debian.org                    67 ms  17 hops   60% ok ( 3/ 5) [  299]
  194 mirror.aarnet.edu.au

Of course, the advantage of mirror.aarnet being broken all last week
means we missed the whole woody/glibc saga :)

--
Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@polydistortion.net> the yesterdays of our lives