Re: Some minor mail problems w/ Debian 2.2

Monte Milanuk wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've recently started using Debian 2.2, and I'm having a few weird mail
> issues popping up.  If anyone could provide some assistance, or nudge me
> in the direction of some specific spot in the documentation, I'd
> appreciate it greatly.
>
> 1)  Added the sources for the online repositories to
> /etc/apt/sources.list, did the apt-get upgrade thing, and am happily
> using Netscape 4.75 -- w/ one exception.  When I enter the information
> for the pop/smtp server that I receive/send mail from, I cannot get any
> new mail.  When I click on the 'Get Messages' icon, it(Netscape) tells
> me that I have no new messages.  Like heck I don't!  At the time I had
> something like 200+ messages on my Yahoo! account.  I've set this up in
> the past on other systems (Mandrake, SuSE, RedHat), and I'd be
> interested on why it doesn't seem to be functional on Debian.

200+ messages and 200+ NEW messages are very different. netscape by
default wont download
read mail.

> from fetchmail.  I read thru the docs, but something wasn't working
> right, because fetchmail couldn't get a response on port 25.

can you telnet to your ip/localhost on port 25 ? maybe exim is not
runinning..i prefer sendmail for my systems just cuz i know it better
then i know the others.

> 3)  After setting up fetchmail, and running it, I seem to be getting a
> bunch of mails (so far over a dozen) which show up in Netscape as having
> no title, being from milanuk@yahoo.com (me), and the header is displayed
> as part of the message.  As such, the Netscape filters don't move them
> to the appropriate folders correctly.  What could be causing this?

possible it has something to do with the mail server and how it gives
out mail. i have never used any of the free web based emailers(or free
emailers in general) but my experience with netscape on almost countless
accounts on "real" servers i have never experienced this.

nate

--
:::
ICQ: 75132336