Re: /usr/share, why bother?

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 02:28:09AM -0600, Jeff Lessem wrote:

> Am I just dense, and such a setting is fully documented and I just
> need to rtfm?  I know, disk space is real cheap, so wasting a few
> hundred meg per machine isn't a big deal, and there isn't really
> anything in /usr/share that I, as the administrator, need to be
> changing, but it is just the principle of the thing.  I guess what I
> mean is, why call it share if it isn't meant to be shared?

The FHS isn't just a Debian thing - it's intended to be a standard for
all Linux distributions, making them more consistent with each other.
That alone is a worthwhile thing.  Besides, the intention is that dpkg
should support this eventually so the packages are going to have to be
modified at some point.  It may as well be done before the changes are
made in dpkg as after.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/