Re: OT: mailing list, bounce-debian-user ?

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 10:54:52PM +1100, Damon Muller wrote:
> Hi Karsten,
>
> Quoth kmself@ix.netcom.com,
> > I'm getting a number of messages apparently sent or resent from
> > bounce-debian-user.  I've also had some significant procmail recipie
> > problems in recent weeks resulting in inappropriate message rejection,
> > particularly from mailing lists.
>
> I believe that the debian list server sets the envelope sender for email
> from the list to bounce-debian-user-<email address>@list.debian.org (or
> something). If a properly configured MTA has to bounce a message, the
> list server will know what address is giving it grief, and if it happens
> enough times, which to remove. At least, that's my (admittedly limited)
> understanding.
>
> I have seen at least one bounce from a badly configured MTA which sent
> the mail back to me (the From: address), but did not include it's own
> from address. Mutt, for some reason, seemed to put the
> bounce-debian-user address in the From: field when it displayed the
> mail. Maybe this is what you are seeing.

me too.

in ~/.procmail/procmail.log i see

>From bounce-debian-user=will=serensoft.com@lists.debian.org Fri Oct 06 12:46:25 2000
 Subject: Re: ppp/wvdial help!
  Folder: /home/will/Mail/debian-user					   2357
>From root@serensoft.com Fri Oct 06 13:02:02 2000
 Subject: server 10/06/00:13.02 system check
  Folder: root								   1120

so it's apparently not mutt.

i guess that this'll help cut down on the my.netvigator.com idiocy?

--
things are more like they used to be than they are now.

will@serensoft.com *** http://www.dontUthink.com/