KDE for stable?

Hi:

Sorry if this is something that has been covered -- I'm pretty new to
the mailing list.

I'm running Potato (after an "apt-get dist-upgrade" from slink) with the
2.2.12 kernel.  I'd like to add KDE to the system, but I'm hesitant to
begin tracking unstable because I don't have much Debian experience.

Any advice? For example, can I switch to unstable solely for the purpose
of running "apt-get install KDE***" without causing a melt down -- and
then point apt back to stable? Or, is it necessary to download source
code and compile KDE for my system? Or should I simply switch to
unstable and do another "dist-upgrade" first?

Thanks,

Colin