Re: OT: mailing list, bounce-debian-user ?

Hi Karsten,

Quoth kmself@ix.netcom.com,
> I'm getting a number of messages apparently sent or resent from
> bounce-debian-user.  I've also had some significant procmail recipie
> problems in recent weeks resulting in inappropriate message rejection,
> particularly from mailing lists.

I believe that the debian list server sets the envelope sender for email
from the list to bounce-debian-user-<email address>@list.debian.org (or
something). If a properly configured MTA has to bounce a message, the
list server will know what address is giving it grief, and if it happens
enough times, which to remove. At least, that's my (admittedly limited)
understanding.

I have seen at least one bounce from a badly configured MTA which sent
the mail back to me (the From: address), but did not include it's own
from address. Mutt, for some reason, seemed to put the
bounce-debian-user address in the From: field when it displayed the
mail. Maybe this is what you are seeing.

Just a thought...

damon

--
Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
Criminologist/Linux Geek  | As my head fell in the basket,