Re: Weird spontaneous X (GNOME?) shutdowns...

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 01:27:43PM +0200, "Jürgen A. Erhard" wrote:
> I don't know which package to report that bug on, so I'll ask you
> folks first...
>
> I had a couple weird spontaneous shutdowns of GNOME (it seems)... I
> come back to my laptop and I see the GDM login screen, though I'm sure
> I didn't log out.
>
> The only thing in syslog is a
>
>     gnome-name-server[500]: input condition is: 0x10, exiting
>
> that seems to be at about the time X shuts down.

Yep, but this is an effect, not the cause of X crash.
I just looked in the c funcion that generates this message
(gnome-libs-1.2.1/libgnorba/gnome-name-server.c), and it seems
that this message when the connection with X is lost.
Then : the X server crasheed/exited/whatever and because of this GNOME
issued the message.

> Hmm, I can't say I checked gdm's log, or .gnome-errors when it last
> happened...
>
> I don't have any automatic logout daemons running.
>
> System is a laptop (Vobis Highpaq Basic1 14), Celeron 566... compiled
> my own kernel (2.2.17, slightly reduced from the Debian default, just
> disabled some features I definitely don't need).
>
> Anyone experienced the same?  Or have some hints where to look?  Any
> pointers are appreciated...
>

>From what you said and what I read in another reply to this post, it looks
like it is happening when your laptop is idle for some time. This suggests
two possible reasons (just guesses, anyway):

- the screen saver : check if it is enabled. Try to run it and see
  what happen. Try disabling it.
- APM : check if it is enabled. Try to suspend/resume the laptop and see
  what happens. Try disabling it.

Ciao.
--
FB