Re: base list ??

Note:  list reinstated.
Reply-to set to list.

Please don't post off-list followups to list mail.

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 06:34:17PM +0100, Ted Wager (twager@btinternet.com) wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Oct 2000, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 01:52:15PM +0100, Ted Wager (twager@btinternet.com) wrote:
> > > I installed my Debian linux from a 3 cdset and all was uip and running ok..
> >
> > > Today I thought I would put the Linux Gazettes on so I went to dselect
> > > and it told me..: failed to create basetext pad ( I think basetext)
> > > Cannot allocate memory...Could anyone tell me if this is posoble to overcome??
> >
> > Run:
> >
> >     $ apt-get install <list of LGs you wish to install> 2>&1|tee apt.log
> >
> > ...which should save output and error messages to the file apt.log.
> > Please post the exact error message(s).
> >
> > You may also want to run and post output of:
> >
> >    $ free
> >    $ cat /proc/meminfo
> >    $ cat /proc/swaps
> Hi
> Thanks for the reply...After I rebooted the machine the fault cleared
> and I could reload the Gazettes but I have noticed there is no
> swap...Debain is on /dev/hdb1 and swap is /dev/hda3 there is no swap
> mentioned in /etc/fstab so thewre is no readout for cat
> /proc/swaps...I must look into this as the distro I am using at present
> shows /dev/hda5 as the swap partition in Mandrake yet fdisk show only
> hda1, hda2 and hda3 as swap!!!

Note I'd requested you post output from commands.  You have not.  I
can't see into your system, you can.  I asked for specifics for a
purpose.  I can't help you without your help.

Linux tends to need swap.

Add a swap partition to /etc/fstab.  Sample from my own /etc/fstab,
which has three swap partitions:

    /dev/sda1     none        swap   sw       0     0
    /dev/sdb1     none        swap   sw       0     0
    /dev/sda6     none        swap   sw       0     0