Stuart Andrews Sun 3 questions

Stuart Andrews - your email address isn't working.

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 21:19:06 +1200
To: sandrews@cdburner.syd.foxboro.com.au (Stuart Andrews)
From: "C. Falconer" <criggie@ihug.co.nz>
Subject: Re: Sun 3/50 question

At 09:35 PM 9/26/00 +0000, you wrote:
>Mr Falconer,  ( apologies iof the gender assumption is wrong )

Its a safe guess in the geek world (sadly)

>Sorry I can't help with the question but thanks for the info that
>the Debian 2.2 will boot a Sun 3/50.  I have a Sun 3/60 at home
>and was wondering if you had any tips for the setup.  I have a
>couple of Intel boxes that will allow me to boot the Sun using
>NFS root etc and runnningm a diskless client.  I have done Intel
>to Intel before but was wondering which dists and whether you had
>an NFS kernel with initrd working that you could email.   I am
>quite OK building the NFS / and /usr filessystems on the intel
>but from memory, your kernel would be customised already.

>Also, what is the method of booting via the le (lance) device.
>When I run minicom from the Intel and get the Sun3 equivalent of
>the sparc ok> prompt, what is the boot command?
>I have tried things like
>
>boot le (0,0,0)
>
>and so on.  Do I also need a RARP server.  Forgive the many questionss.
>It's been a while since I had a look at the Sun3 and getting it working.

Most of that is straight-forward...  The only bit I don't know involves
making the machine use le0 as the default boot device.  Mine was like that
when I got it... did yours have a drive installed or something?

Anyway - I had mine going fine with my potato box as an
everything-server.  The sun now reports memory errors on boot... I think
its poked :-\

To get it to work I downloaded a file called linux-xkernel2.0e.tar.gz  This
file contains an entire tree for you to put under /usr/export on your linux
server, and that contains all the files needed to boot the sun, and give it
a root filesystem.  Its about 3 Mb, yell out if you want me to mail it to
you, or you might find it somewhere on the web too.

Changes I had to make to get it working
         1)      I had to go from the kernel-space NFS drivers to the
user-space ones... not a big deal because nothing else here uses NFS.
         2)      I couldn't get it working with kernel 2.4.x  the rarpd
support is in kernel 2.2 only.  I did however find a rarpd program which
kinda worked.
Other than that - there are some options required in your kernel, but
everything is fairly well documented in the attached readme.  As soon as
xdm is running, the documentation stops.  It was quite a puzzle to find out
that I lacked a ~/.xsession, and that the default windowmanager is twm.
Yell out if you want this file emailed to you.

--
Criggie