Re: Missing Ping in Woody?

Bob Nielsen wrote:

> It looks like it moved:
>
> $ dpkg -S /bin/ping
> netkit-ping: /bin/ping
>
> netbase now depends on a whole slew of packages, including netkit-ping,
> so that *should* have been installed.  What version of netbase do you
> have?
>
> /me thinks there are getting to be a few too many separate packages.
>
> Bob
>
> On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 11:43:53AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> > I've been doing an "apt-get update/apt-get upgrade" from both Potato and
> > Woody every couple of days for the past couple of weeks. Today's upgrade
> > left me ping-less. Is Woody's most recent netbase broken, or have I got
> > some other problem going on?
>
> --
> Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net
> Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.oz.net/~nielsen

Thanks for the info.

It's netbase 4.05. Interesting, when I run "dpkg -I netbase" I get
"dpkg-deb: failed to read archive `netbase_4.05': No such file or
directory". This is immediately after successfully doing an "apt-get
--reinstall install netbase".

Also, when I try to run "apt-get install netkit-ping", I get "Sorry,
netkit-ping is already the newest version".

Aughgh! The Woodysphere! Aughgh!

--
Kent West
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu