modprobe problems

I have a firewall using two rtl8139 cards, which I had to compile my own
kernel to use. I have had probelms with uploading files through the firewall
so I installed the kernel binary 2.2.17. I removed these cards and installed
two linksys LNE100TX4 cards. The instructions with the card told me to use
the tulip driver. When I tried to run modprobe
/lib/module/2.2.17/net/tulip.o I got "cannot find module tulip.o"
I have tried a Inter pro 100 using eepro100.o and can;'t get that to
modprobe.
What am I doing wrong? I would like to use the linksys cards. Do I need to
compile a module?

Chris Mason
Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
Tel: 264 497 5670 Fax: 264 497 8463
USA Fax (561) 382-7771
Take a virtual tour of the island
http://net.ai/ The Anguilla Guide