Trying to get .menu directory to work

Greetings,
	I have been playing around with the menu program and have a question for everybody.  I can make my own menu items and all works well when I place those items in /etc/menu.  Create the entry, put in /etc/menu and then update-menus (as both user and as root).  Things show up fine.  However, if I take that menu entry and put it in my .menu directory in /home/walton/ and then run update-menus as user, the menu item doesn't show up.  I was under the impression that entries in the .menu directory were supposed to override system wide menu items (at least for that user).  I can't get it to work though.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bryan Walton