Re: Help with System Crashes

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 05:31:36PM +0200, Martin Pfeilsticker (martin.pfeilsticker@rhein-main.net) wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a strange problem with one of my PCs:
> It crashes for no obvious reasons, at least one time a day.
> The system is completly frozen, ie no ping, no Magic-Key, no CTRL-AL-DEL,
> only a HARD-Reset is working. Logfiles in /var/log show nothing
> unusal.
>
> Since this computer is acting as my ADSL-Gateway and as a file-, mail-,
> and news-server, I am a little bit anoyed....
>
> The System is an AMD-K6-2/500 with 192 MB Memory on a MS-5169 motherboard.
> HD is 15 GB Maxtor 31536H2 as hda, and a ATAPI 48X CD-ROM drive as hdc.
>
> eth0 ( to Intranet) indentifies as VIA VT3043 Rhine,
> eth1 ( to DSL-modem) is a NetGear FA310 (tulip chipset),
> replacing a 3com  3c905B.
>
> Software is a fresh installed Debian 2.2, with a custom build Kernel
> ( no SCSI), rp-pppoe 2.3 (  same problem with 2.2),  running sendmail, inn,
> squid, bind8.
>
> Can anybody give me any tips or hints what can I do ?

Check your system logs.  Look for logs modified shortly before the
crash.  Booting single-user following crash may help preserve
timestamps.

Read /usr/src/linux/REPORTING-BUGS

There are known incmpatibilities with several recent 2.2.x kernels and
various drivers.  REPORTING-BUGS identifies most pertinant data.  I've
attached a script for automating data collection.  It requires ksymoops
somewhere on your path.  You may want to tweak it for your own
preferences.  You can (and probably should) provide additional
information after the report is generated.

Check your hardware.  Bad memory, disks, and CPU are frequent culprits.
Get a memory tester, run badblocks, or try some long compiles and look
for signal-11 errors.

#  kernel-bug-report: Reporting bugs automated script
#!/bin/bash

# Kernel bug report generator script
# Script generated from prior bug report form by Karsten M. Self
# $Revision: 1.3 $ $Date: 2000/05/13 07:48:36 $ $Author: root $

PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

# ------------------------------------------------------------------------
# [Some of this is taken from Frohwalt Egerer's original linux-kernel FAQ]
#
#      What follows is a suggested procedure for reporting Linux bugs. You
# aren't obliged to use the bug reporting format, it is provided as a guide
# to the kind of information that can be useful to developers - no more.
#
#      If the failure includes an "OOPS:" type message in your log or on
# screen please read "Documentation/oops-tracing.txt" before posting your
# bug report. This explains what you should do with the "Oops" information
# to make it useful to the recipient.
#
#       Send the output the maintainer of the kernel area that seems to
# be involved with the problem. Don't worry too much about getting the
# wrong person. If you are unsure send it to the person responsible for the
# code relevant to what you were doing. If it occurs repeatably try and
# describe how to recreate it. That is worth even more than the oops itself.
# The list of maintainers is in the MAINTAINERS file in this directory.
#
#       If you are totally stumped as to whom to send the report, send it to
# linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu. (For more information on the linux-kernel
#
# This is a suggested format for a bug report sent to the Linux kernel mailing
# list. Having a standardized bug report form makes it easier  for you not to
# overlook things, and easier for the developers to find the pieces of
# information they're really interested in. Don't feel you have to follow it.
#
#    First run the ver_linux script included as scripts/ver_linux or
# at <URL:ftp://ftp.sai.msu.su/pub/Linux/ver_linux> It checks out
# the version of some important subsystems.  Run it with the command
# "sh scripts/ver_linux"
#
# Use that information to fill in all fields of the bug report form, and
# post it to the mailing list with a subject of "PROBLEM: <one line
# summary from [1.]>" for easy identification by the developers
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------

# indent by one tabstop
function tabout () { sed -e '/^/s//	/'; }

kversion=$( uname -r )
dmesg=dmesg
dmesg="cat /var/log/kern.log"	# for debugging only
oops_number=$( $dmesg | grep Oops | tail -1 | sed -e '/^.*:/s///' )
oops_module=$( $dmesg | grep EIP | tail -1 | sed -e '/^.*:/s///' )

cat <<EOF

This is a script-generated kernel bug report.

The system administrator/developer should provide additional information
where appropriate.

kernel-bug-report: $Revision: 1.3 $ $Date: 2000/05/13 07:48:36 $ $Author: root $

[1.] One line summary of the problem:

	PROBLEM:  $1 oops $oops_number in $oops_module, $kversion kernel

[2.] Full description of the problem/report:

	n/a

[3.] Keywords (i.e., modules, networking, kernel):

	linux kernel $kversion oops $oops_number $oops_module

[4.] Kernel version (from /proc/version):

$( cat /proc/version | tabout )

[5.] Output of Oops.. message (if applicable) with symbolic information
     resolved (see Documentation/oops-tracing.txt)

$( $dmesg | ksymoops -k /proc/ksyms | tabout )

[6.] A small shell script or example program which triggers the
     problem (if possible)

	n/a

[7.] Environment

$( set | tabout )

[7.1.] Software (add the output of the ver_linux script here)

$( sh -f /usr/src/linux/scripts/ver_linux | tabout )

[7.2.] Processor information (from /proc/cpuinfo):

$( cat /proc/cpuinfo | tabout )

[7.3.] Module information (from /proc/modules):

$( cat /proc/modules | tabout )

[7.4.] SCSI information (from /proc/scsi/scsi)

$( cat /proc/scsi/scsi | tabout )

[7.5.] Other information that might be relevant to the problem
       (please look in /proc and include all information that you
       think to be relevant):

	System memory (at time of oops):
$( cat /proc/meminfo | tabout )

	System uptime:
$( uptime | tabout )

[X.] Other notes, patches, fixes, workarounds:
EOF