Re: debian: mail spool directory ???

"John L . Fjellstad" <john-list@fjellstad.org> wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 10:21:19PM -0500, will trillich wrote:
>> why the change? i dunno. as long as the symbolic link is there
>> you should be fat-dumb-and-happy still, like me. (not necessarily
>> in that order.)
>
>The filesysten hierarchy standard specifies that the user mailbox
>should be in /var/mail.

But Debian policy currently states that user mailboxes should be in
/var/spool/mail, hence the symlink. There is a current proposal to
change this to /var/mail which seemed to be generally acceptable, but at
the moment it's stalled somewhere in the policy process.

See <URL:http://bugs.debian.org/42052>.