modem woes

    Hey people. A friend of mine is having trouble with her internal modem on
a Toshiba Laptop. The modem is apparently a Toshiba V.90 on COM 2, and
hardware compatability should be fine.
    Whenever she tries an app to use it, kppp, minicom, it reports that it
cannot initialize the modem. I'm having her check out initialization strings
now, but as my modem worked perfectly on the first try, I don't know much
about this. Some help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to UNIX