Re: debian: mail spool directory ???

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 01:55:04PM +1100, Brendan J Simon wrote:
> What is the official mail spool directory ?
> /var/spool/mail ?
> /var/mail ?
>
> I'm running a PowerMac G4 with exim.  Things were working fine till I
> tried to install zmailer.  I had a few errors so I switched back to exim
> for the time being.  I could no longer read my mail through an IMAP
> client running on another machine nor through elm running on the same
> machine as the server.
>
> elm was looking for mail in /var/spool/mail but the mail was actually in
> /var/mail.  I think there must have been a symbolic link from
> /var/spool/mail to /var/mail.  I recreated the link and everything seems
> fine.
> Is this the correct setup ?
> If so, why was the link removed in the exim to zmailer to exim
> changeover ?

i'm not using zmailer -- just exim, since slink/2.1 -- and my spool
directory moved, too.

when i did a fresh install of woody/2.2, i've got /var/mail/* and
/var/spool/mail is a symlink to /var/mail so the older style stuff
still works.

why the change? i dunno. as long as the symbolic link is there
you should be fat-dumb-and-happy still, like me. (not necessarily
in that order.)