Re: Extended descriptions of non-free/non-US packages.

"J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" wrote:

> Personally, I think this would clutter the package descriptions to little
> benefit. A much more appropriate place IMO is /usr/share/<package>/copyright.

The whole benefit of this proposal is so that you can know this
information BEFORE you decide to install the package, since it
determines whether I install the package.

- if it is patent encumbered, I want to know if it applies to me before
downloading
- if it is non-free, I want to know whether I consider the license
acceptable before downloading
- etc. etc.

However, even if it is not done, it would still be useful to have this
specific information in /usr/share/doc or wherever.  In particular, this
information being readily available would likely prevent people asking
specifically why X was in non-free, etc.

--
         Matthew Tuck: Software Developer & All-Round Nice Guy
     My experience is that in general, if there's jobs programming