IPsec and IPMasq/Proxy

I ran into some trouble using a Debian box as an IP Masq gateway (also
running Squid) to a network which uses a VPN box employing IPsec.  The
ISP's tech support said that GNU/Linux was incapable of doing NAT properly
with IPsec and that I'd have to kill the NAT and proxy to make things
work.

I have no experience with IPsec, but this sounded strange.  Can anyone
confirm or deny this?  I can't understand why a Windows machine can plug
into the net but that GNU/Linux doing Masquerading or using Squid can't do
the same.  Could someone whack me with a clue bat?  TIA.

--
 Regards,                | Why would anyone want to run an operating
 .                       | system that is open source and is developed