Re: more sound difficulties

On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 10:01:30AM -0400, Christopher Fonnesbeck wrote:
> Unfortunately, I have been unable to get the ALSA sound working either
> in an IBM thinkpad, or on a desktop system with a standard
> soundblaster.  I have installed all of the relevant alsa packages, but

There is an emu10k1 driver out there that is not by alsa at
http://opensource.creative.com

> the alsaconfig utility doesnt detect the card in either case (very bad
> sign), nor does it accept any of my configurations for setting the sound
> card manually.  A typical error is as follows:

> Starting sound driver:  (cs4232)
> Setting the PCM volume to 100% and the Master output volume to 50%
> The ALSA sound driver was not detected in this system.
> Could not initialize the mixer, the card was probably
> not detected correctly.

The ALSA cs4232 driver is a real pain.  You have to specify everything
for it and then it might still not work.  Here is what I had in my
/etc/modules in the hope that it helps:

snd-card-cs4232 snd_port=0x530 snd_irq=11 snd_dma1=0 snd_dma2=3
snd_cport=0x120 snd_mpu_port=-1 snd_fm_port=-1 snd_mpu_irq=9

(All on one line of course).  Using the plain OSS driver now seems like
a better solution to me and I only need to specify the io, irq, dma, and
dma2 for it.

> Note that sound was configured perfectly first time on both machines on
> Redhat 6.2.  These are both production machines, so if I am unable to
> get this problem resolved today or tomorrow, I will have to abandon
> Debian.  Any help is most appreciated.

First off, why does a production machine *need* sound unless you are
doing sound work?  Servers probably shouldn't even have sound cards.
Secondly, ALSA is still beta software and you really shouldn't blame
Debian for its failings.  Thirdly, if you are doing sound programming,
you might as well stick with OSS since alsa-lib is changing so rapidly.

Cheers,
Chris

--
It is much easier to be critical than to be correct.
		-- Benjamin Disraeli