more sound difficulties

Unfortunately, I have been unable to get the ALSA sound working either
in an IBM thinkpad, or on a desktop system with a standard
soundblaster.  I have installed all of the relevant alsa packages, but
the alsaconfig utility doesnt detect the card in either case (very bad
sign), nor does it accept any of my configurations for setting the sound
card manually.  A typical error is as follows:

Starting sound driver:  (cs4232)
Setting the PCM volume to 100% and the Master output volume to 50%
The ALSA sound driver was not detected in this system.
Could not initialize the mixer, the card was probably
not detected correctly.

Note that sound was configured perfectly first time on both machines on
Redhat 6.2.  These are both production machines, so if I am unable to
get this problem resolved today or tomorrow, I will have to abandon
Debian.  Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris Fonnesbeck