Re: machines (ii)

On Sat, Sep 30, 2000 at 12:13:47PM -0400, Mark Simos wrote:

> I am looking to put together a Debian based firewall and a mail server
>   -how bad of an idea is it to host them on the same machine?
>    (please explain how dumb it is, if so)

Well, if someone cracks your firewall then they'll also get your mail
and the mail server may provide an additional way into your firewall.
OTOH, how much do you care?

> How much power would I need (CPU/RAM/HD) to make it (or each of them)
> work?

How much load do you have?  For a home system on a modem a 486 should
handle the load from both quite happily.  With a broadband connection
you might want a somewhat more powerful CPU.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/