Re: machines (ii)

shouldnt be a problem, most machines i build are very multipurpose and
usually all have their own individual firewalls. e.g. my home network is
3 machines, with 1 of them acting as:

firewall
gateway(hooked directly to the dsl router)
NAT
NFS server
NIS server
www server
POP3 server
SMTP server
DNS
ftp server
Unreal tournament server
runs solaris on top of vmware
port forwarding for a couple ports
X server
x font server(true type)
ssh server
dhcp server
nocol server
snmpd server(for gatherning network stats)
vpnd client
proxy/caching server(squid)

i use it for irc too

its a k6-3 400 256MB with a 640k dsl connect and 36GB of hd. soon to be
upgraded to a 1mb connect. my firewall rules are quite extensive, and it
works great. thats one of the things i like best about linux is it's
ability to do tons of things at the same time.

some people are more paranoid and like to have a dedicated box for a
firewall, but for my situation a dedicated box is not needed.

you can see the webserver and mrtg/ipac stats at
http://portal.aphroland.org

or join me in unreal tournament sometime at portal.aphroland.org:12001
(private server, not advertised to the world since im limited on b/w)

if there was more services that i felt were useful id be the first to
try them :)

nate