Re: Local installation of Helix

Scott_Patterson@AndersonsInc.Com writes:

> >Hi,
> >
> >I recently installed Potato and I'm having difficulty installing HelixGnome.
> >Rather than perform an installation over the modem at home, I downloaded all
> >of the .deb files using the leased line at work, took them home via Zip disk
> >and tried to perform an installation from the local hard disk.
> >
> >I've tried adding a line to the top of my sources.list file ("deb
> >file://home/jmi/debian/ unstable main" - the files themselves are in
> >/home/jmi/debian/dists/woody/main/binary-i386/) and running 'apt-get

Change the line in sources.list to "deb file://home/jmi/debian/ woody main"
                                                                ^^^^^
or rename the directory to /home/jmi/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386,
or symlink /home/jmi/debian/dists/unstable to /home/jmi/debian/woody (which is
actually what the Debian sites do).

Since you are just using the deb files to install on a single machine, an even
better solution would be to put the files in /home/jmi/debian/helix, and put
the line "deb file://home/jmi/debian/ helix/".  Make sure you don't forget the
"/" after "helix" or it won't work.  (not 100% sure about the syntax for the
deb line, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

Hubert