Re: Local installation of Helix

>Hi,
>
>I recently installed Potato and I'm having difficulty installing HelixGnome.
>Rather than perform an installation over the modem at home, I downloaded all
>of the .deb files using the leased line at work, took them home via Zip disk
>and tried to perform an installation from the local hard disk.
>
>I've tried adding a line to the top of my sources.list file ("deb
>file://home/jmi/debian/ unstable main" - the files themselves are in
>/home/jmi/debian/dists/woody/main/binary-i386/) and running 'apt-get
>update', but it just tells me that it can't find the Packages file in the
>/var/cache. I know that the Packages file is there, but I get the feeling
>that there's simply something wrong with the entry I've made to the
>sources.list.
>
>Am I taking the completely wrong approach to this, or can anyone see
>something incorrect with the line I've added to the sources.list (this might
>be more of a HelixGnome question than a Debian question, but I'd like to
>gain any insight I can into how to properly configure apt)?
>
>Any help appreciated,
>
>Jamie MacIsaac.

Probably not the best solution, and I haven't tried it, but here we go...

Whenever you donwload an update, it stores that file on disk. Now I'm guessing
that apt-get looks at the cache (stored disk file) first, to see if you already
have it. It must, because it can continue interrupted downloads. So, simply put
all the helixcode files from your zip disk into the cache directory on your
workstations hard drive. Then, put the helixcode source in your
/etc/apt/sources.list file. Run a "apt-get update", "apt-get install
task-helix-gnome" and that should install everything...I hope. YMMV:)

Scott