Re: Minimum hardware requirements? Web-based version?

Dawn Miller wrote:

> I have a client who uses Debian GNU/Linux (versions 2.2.6, 2.2.13, 2.0.18 and 2.1.?) on four of their servers.

You are referencing Linux Kernel versions.  This is the very core of the system,
and can run with very small requirements.

The real question is "What do you want to do with it?".

> I have two questions that I am trying to get answered for them, and did not find the info on the Debian web site:
>
> 1)  What are the minimum hardware requirements for installing Debian GNU/Linux?   Will this change for near-future versions (next 18 mos or so)?

I have a 486 DX4 100 with 40 MB ram.

  It is doing this for me:
	* File serving to Windows (samba)
	* Web server (developing web sites)
	* DHCP server (automatic IP assign)
	* Half Life Server (Yes, you can run a three player game on a 486!)
	* Email Server (sending [smtp with exim] and receiving [pop3 with qpopper]

Soon I will be adding a Fax server and web proxy to that list.

With this setup, I still have memory and processor speed left over.

Please reply (to the list) and let us know what you want to do with your linux
computer.

> 2)  Is there (or will there be) a web-based version of this product available?

Debian is the environment surrounding the Linux Kernel.  That is like asking if
there will be a web based version of windows.

Please clarify.  Do you man remote configuration?  What part do you want to be
web based?