Re: Minimum hardware requirements? Web-based version?

Hello Dawn

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Dawn Miller wrote:

> I have a client who uses Debian GNU/Linux (versions 2.2.6, 2.2.13, 2.0.18 and 2.1.?) on four of their servers.
>
> I have two questions that I am trying to get answered for them, and did not find the info on the Debian web site:
>
> 1)  What are the minimum hardware requirements for installing Debian
> GNU/Linux?   Will this change for near-future versions (next 18 mos or
> so)?

Debian slink (2.1) will run from 386 upwards with 4MB of RAM and you
should have hd-space of at least about 50 MB for the base-system. That's
the Minimum for slink. Of course you can build a system based on Debian,
that will run from a floppy on a 386-machine with 2MB of RAM, but you
won't be able to do much with it.
For potato (2.2) you need 12 MB of RAM to install and hd-space of about 80
MB, although the system will run on machines with fewer RAM. Then you have
to install slink and do an upgrade to potato. (did it on a machine with
8Mb, works fine).
You can use X on a 486 with 8 MB RAM, but it won't be that fast, and you
have to think about which programs you use. I think the minimum to run
almost every program that comes with debian in a more or less
comfortable way (except Netscape, as that really is a resource hog) would
be Pentium processor with 32 Mb of RAM and about 2 or 3 GB of hd.
Regards,
Daniel