Re: Network Printing

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 11:41:38AM -0400, Michael Goodman wrote:
> Excuse my ignorance but how to you config network printers in Potato? There must be an easier way than editing the printcap file. Thanks,

Well, ummm, that's how I did it!  Actually much easier than firing up
and learning some GUI tool I'll use once and then not again...

To wit.

Here is the salient portion of my /etc/printcap which is the same on
both the desktop and my laptop:

lm|laser|Lexmark 4039-10R:\
	:lp=/dev/lp0:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lm:\
	:sh:\
	:pw#80:\
	:pl#66:\
	:px#1440:\
	:mx#0:\
	:if=/etc/magicfilter/ljet3-filter:\
	:af=/var/log/lp-acct:\
	:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

The Lexmark is connected to the desktop (which also runs Potato) and I
have an ethernet connection available to tie the two machines together.

Looking in the printcap file I noticed this nice little template toward
the end:

# rlp|Remote printer entry:\
#         :lp=:\
#         :rm=remotehost:\
#         :rp=remoteprinter:\
#         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote:\
#         :mx#0:\
#         :sh:

Using this as a guide, I added the remote Lexmark alias of rlm as so:

rlm|Remote Lexmark 4039-10R on linux.n0nb.ampr.org:\
        :lp=:\
	:rm=linux.n0nb.ampr.org:\
	:rp=lm:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote:\
	:mx#0:\
	:sh:

I then restarted lprng with:

/etc/init.d/lprng restart

as root.  Then I happily printed from Netscape on the laptop to the
Lexmark in the other room.  Total time from curiosity to implementation?
Less than 5 minutes.  Try *that* on those "administrator friendly" OSes. :)

HTH,

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "None can love freedom
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | heartily, but good