Re: exim or smail?

Anthony Campbell wrote:

> I thought I had exim working well, but then I found I was unable to send
> mail to the mail server at one of my ISPs. Eventually I commented out
> "qualify_domain" in /etc/exim.conf and this seemed to fix the problem,
> but I didn't understand why.

Usually it's the reverse: you set it so that your ISP's SMTP server
accepts your mail as coming from a valid Internet domain.  As in the
case where your mail server is itself not permanently connected (a
dialup), and has a "made up" domain name.

Yours is probably already a valid domain, and 'qualify_domain' was set
to something invalid.