Intellimouse + gpm + X

I have a MS Intellimouse that I have working with gpm and X just fine,
however I have not been able to get the scrolling ball to work.
Depressing it works as the third button, however.  I have looked at the
scolling mouse howto on my machine and online, but I haven't found
anything that will get it to work.  I'm using the -R option with gpm so
X can use /dev/gpmdata as it's mouse device.  It's a ps2 mouse, so the
type is set to imps2, but it still doesn't work.  There must be some
configuration option I'm missing somewhere?  Maybe with the repeat
option or something?  Can anyone help me out here?

Rob