Re: I'm afraid I've been cracked.

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 07:49:00PM -0700, Steve Juranich wrote:

> Please remember that you're speaking to a recent convert from Mandrake.
> There, all I would have to do would be 'rpm -V `which top`' and rpm would
> tell me if the md5sum had been changed from the original package.  Does dpkg

what is stopping the attacker from installing a replacment top package
with the same name and version?  or replacing /bin/rpm?  then you
would be none the wiser.

> have a similar funcitonality? I couldn't find mention of it in the man page.

debsums but like rpm -V its worthless for security.  only useful for
finding corruption due to disk crashes and whatnot.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/