Re: IP TUNNEL / was Re: doesn't anybody use tunnelling / vpn?

Hi folks,

I'm certainly no expert in this field, but until some BOFH put up a
firewall between college and my ISP, the following worked for me
(should be all on one line...):

ssh -C -P -f -L 8181:localhost:8080 remotehost.com "sleep 365d" >
/dev/null 2>&1

This will create an encrypted tunnel between port 8181 on your machine
and port 8080 on remotehost.com (you must have RSA authentication
working for SSH so it doesn't ask you for a password).

Put that in a little script file, and run it when you need the tunnel.
It should stay up indefinately, but if it doesn't, run your script
again. Too easy.

Of course, if you want to tunnel lots of different services (the above
is only good for a web proxy, but adapt the ports for whatever you
need), it's going to get prohibitively complicated.

BTW, I don't believe that sleep needs to be as long as I have done it -
that was just what I ended up with to be on the safe side.

HTH,

damon

Quoth Krzys Majewski,

--
Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
Criminologist/Linux Geek  | As my head fell in the basket,