Re: IP TUNNEL / was Re: doesn't anybody use tunnelling / vpn?

Krzys Majewski wrote:

> Missed  the start  of this  thread. I  need to  do some  tunnelling as
> well.   Here's   the  setup.   I   use   my  school's   smtp/imap/news
> servers.  The servers can  only be accessed from  cs.ubc.ca (at  least, I
> haven't  had  any luck  using  them from  elsewhere).  My  isp is  not
> cs.ubc.ca. I'm currently getting around this problem via a messy ssh -L
> hack; namely, setting up port forwarding between my home machine and a
> server at school, then running a noninteractive hanging program on
> the other end to keep the tunnel open.  In this way I have set up three
> pipes/tunnels,
> localhost:6025<->remotehost:25,
> localhost:6119<->remotehost:119, and
> localhost:6143<->remotehost:6143.
> It  works but  the tunnels  break sometimes  (like when  I  suspend my
> machine) and I have to restart them occasionally.
> Anyone have a better way? -chris

hi. i have no clue about all this fancy stuff. sounds
delightfully cool. if you get it straightened out,
PLEASE post a 'SOLVED' message so that the rest of us
dunces (speaking for what i hope is a large group and
not just me) can learn from your experience...

by the way -- HOW did you set up those tunnels?

what package, what command, what script?

--
mailto:will@serensoft.com
http://www.dontUthink.com/