Re: 3c509 troubles

I'm kind of new but maybe this will help.  I'm using the 3c509b-tpc
(etherlink III) with Debian 2.2 and just installed the 3c509 module during
install along with the pertinent networking info and it's worked fine.  I
didn't have to use any special setup programs or files at all.  In fact, if I
remember correctly I had to disable pnp with the win disk that came with it.
If your card is pnp that is probably what you need to do.  But more to the
point:

Since you have a link light, your connections should be good (but make sure
you have terminated correctly!) When you say you "can't get anything beyond
that" are you talking about pinging other boxes on the same network?

1.  Try "/sbin/ifconfig".  If you don't see a line containing "eth0" or
"eth1" or "ethX" then try...
2.  "ifconfig ethX yourMachineIPaddresshere yourNetmask"
2a.  If you get an error try "man ifconfig" and see if you're using the right
syntax.
3.  Run "/sbin/ifconfig" again and you should see your card.  If that doesn't
work...
4.  try "cat /proc/net/dev".  You should see your ethX there.  If you don't...
5.  Then the 3c509 module is not loaded.  ( I'm real weak in this area but
the program you need to load it is insmod.  Try "man insmod" for more info).
6.  If you do see it there you may have an interupt or address conflict.  To
see if you do try "cat /proc/interrupts" and "cat /proc/ioports".  I have no
idea how to fix a conflict like this.  Maybe someone else can help.

Jesse