3c509 troubles

Greetings all,

I just installed the latest version of debian and am having problems
with my nic. The 3c5x9setup program tells me that it can't find a nic at
0x300.  This is a 3c509b-tp card that worked fine under NT. I used
3c5x9cfg to verify that the i/o address is 300h (i also tried 310h with
no luck) and the irq is 10. the card passes all the diagnostic tests. I
have a link light and can ping the loopback and the actual ip address of
the box but can't get to anything beyond that. I installed ipv4 and also
ipv6 during initial installation. I am using the version of 3c5x9setup
that is listed in the debian stable packages. I have downloaded the
latest source from the nasa page for 3c5x9setup but would rather not go
through compiling/installing it unless its really necessary. Any ideas
are appreciated.

TIA

ken