Re: IP TUNNEL / was Re: doesn't anybody use tunnelling / vpn?

Missed  the start  of this  thread. I  need to  do some  tunnelling as
well.   Here's   the  setup.   I   use   my  school's   smtp/imap/news
servers.  The servers can  only be accessed from  cs.ubc.ca (at  least, I
haven't  had  any luck  using  them from  elsewhere).  My  isp is  not
cs.ubc.ca. I'm currently getting around this problem via a messy ssh -L
hack; namely, setting up port forwarding between my home machine and a
server at school, then running a noninteractive hanging program on
the other end to keep the tunnel open.  In this way I have set up three
pipes/tunnels,
localhost:6025<->remotehost:25,
localhost:6119<->remotehost:119, and
localhost:6143<->remotehost:6143.
It  works but  the tunnels  break sometimes  (like when  I  suspend my
machine) and I have to restart them occasionally.
Anyone have a better way? -chris