Re: lp module in Debian 2.2

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 09:18:01PM -0400, Seung-woo Nam wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I installed Debian 2.2 recently and the process went pretty smoothly
> except for lp module for printer support. The installation of the module
> fails even though I have a printer connected to the parallel port and I
> can't figure out whether it's parameter thing or something else. Could
> anyone help me?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Seung-woo Nam

You are not the only one. There seems to be some
problem with kernel 2.2.17 or the printer daemon
lprng 3.6.12-6 or lpr.

There are many  people on this list who are able
to get a printout to the  raw device  by doing a
"cat TxtFile > /dev/lpN"  (where N is their port
polled  device) but lpr is not being able to use
the polled port for some reason (i.e the command
"cat TxtFile | lpr" fails).For all such cases lp
support has been built into the kernel and perm-
issions of spool dir /files  properly set. There
are no plip conflicts.

This  matter by all probabilities would  need to
be referred to the kernel or the lpr/lprng main-
tainers, once the cause is elucidated.I am doing
a study of the problem presently .. and frankly,
still quite lost !

I had posted a query three days ago on this list
to have a  rough estimate  of the  extent of the
problem, on the thread "Printing : Kernel 2.2.17
problem?" but the response so far has been poor.
I have no  confirmation from anyone that  Kernel
2.2.17 with lprng 3.6.12-6  or  lpr has posed no
problems.

It appears that  "CUPS" is okay with this kernel
as  confirmed by  Joachim <jtr@uni-bonn.de>, but
that isn't the  default potato / woody "lpr"  or
"lprng". It is somewhere  between  kernel 2.2.17
and the printer daemon where the problems lie.

Or, could there be any other factor at play ?

USM Bish