Re: A series of newbieite questions

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 09:46:42AM +0200, Helgi Örn wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Matthew Dalton wrote:
> > ObeseWhale wrote:
> >
> > > 1.  Debian keeps starting X as soon as I boot into linux.  It give me the
> > > graphical login screen and everything.  This is annoying because I don't
> > > seem to be capable of exiting X...  Is there any way to stop Debian from
> > > running xdm on startup?
> > You can uninstall xdm (apt-get remove xdm).
> >
> Uninstalling xdm is a drastic solution if you still want to X-window, I usually
> change the default runlevel in /etc/inittab so that I boot up in text mode and
> am still able to to use startx to get into X.

Well, I don't think it's that drastic.
AFAIK you don't need xdm installed in order to use startx.
At least it works for me.

-ff

--
     Florian Friesdorf <42ff@gmx.net>
OpenPGP key available on public key servers

------> Save the future of Open Source <------
-> Online-Petition against Software Patents <-
------> http://petition.eurolinux.org <-------