Re: A series of newbieite questions

"ObeseWhale" <obesewhale@3dactionplanet.com> writes:

> 1.  Debian keeps starting X as soon as I boot into linux.  It give me the
> graphical login screen and everything.  This is annoying because I don't
> seem to be capable of exiting X...  Is there any way to stop Debian from
> running xdm on startup?

Why will all you people ever do this? Ctrl-Alt-F1(F2 ... F6) will get
you to the console (if you of some reason are suspicious of xterm/rxvt
etc.), Alt-F7 will get you back to X. Some graphical logins like gdm
or wdm give you the opportunity to shutdown. So I could never
understand all these efforts to start X with startx.

On the other hand, if you nevertheless don't want to start X upon
boot, why then use a graphical login at all -- you *are* already
logged in when doing `startx', aren't you? Then the most easy thing is
`dpkg --purge xdm', far easier than all those methods I read about in
this thread.

Wondering,
joachim