Re: pppd error message

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 06:04:57PM +0300, thus spake Debian User:
>     Hi,
>
> I have the following error message when starting pppd:
> /usr/sbin/pppd -detach
> /usr/sbin/pppd: The remote system is required to authenticate itself
> /usr/sbin/pppd: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for
> it to use to do so.
> /usr/sbin/pppd: (None of the available passwords would let in use an IP
> address.)

Are you by any chance using kppp?  This seems to be a problem with
some versions.

One way around the problem is to take a look at /etc/ppp/options,
where it will say something like.........

# Require the peer to authenticate itself before allowing network
# packets to be sent or received.
# Please do not disable this setting. It is expected to be standard in
# future releases of pppd. Use the call option (see manpage) to disable
# authentication for specific peers.
auth

Despite what it says, make that

noauth

and see if it works.  There must be a better (Debian)  way to do
this - I learned this vicious habit on Mandrake!

HTH

Glyn M

       * "The soul is greater than the hum of its parts. "  *
       *                 Douglas Hoftstatder                *