how to handle perl modules not "debianed"

Hi There!

I changed to debian (potato) recently and am trying to
get familiar with it. At the moment i wonder how to handle
perl modules i need, that are not available as debian
packages.

Question is: Can i safely use Perl::CPAN module to get
theese without breaking update/upgrade capabilities of
my system?

By the way, what happens if such a locally installed
module happens to be included in a .deb package in future?

Regards
Bernd

p.s.: I took a look on debians perl-policy document, why
      not include some information on the problem above there?

                  bernd.worsch@web.de