gnome icons

I'm sysadmin for an internet cafe of 20 Potato boxes. We use xdm and icewm-gnome.

When a client logs in, is there a way to have the icons on the desktop automatically ? If the client launches gmc, then the icons appear, but that seems to be too difficult to them. I then had gmc started automatically by xdm after login, but then the gmc window is also on the desktop (which we don't want).

How can I get the icons *without* gmc window ?

Please Cc me.

Thanks

--
Eric.VanBuggenhaut@AdValvas.be
http://www.eric.ath.cx

Please don't send proprietary format documents, I can't (and don't want to) open them.
Appreciated are open-source formats like .txt or .rtf. Dvi, ps or tex files are welcome.