Re: how to handle perl modules not "debianed"

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 01:25:46PM +0200, Bernd Worsch wrote:
> Hi There!
>
> I changed to debian (potato) recently and am trying to
> get familiar with it. At the moment i wonder how to handle
> perl modules i need, that are not available as debian
> packages.
>
> Question is: Can i safely use Perl::CPAN module to get
> theese without breaking update/upgrade capabilities of
> my system?
>
> By the way, what happens if such a locally installed
> module happens to be included in a .deb package in future?

good question. i wonder about that, too.

and i just thought of a way to test it.

find a perl lib that debian DOES have packaged, but
use CPAN to download and install it.

test it to make sure all is well.

you might munge the module a bit to add your own global
variable, for testing.

THEN do the apt-get install <debian-perl-lib> and see
if you can still access your global variable or not...

when i have time, i may try this. let us know if you run
this test and what you determine...