Now: BROKEN apt-get dist-upgrade. Was: yp problem.

Thanks Nico. Portmap showed as installed but there was no binary there.
This is troubling. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the portmap package.
NIS fixed.

This is strange. I did a dist-upgrade and now seem to have a corrupt install.
I've had to reinstall telnetd, portmap, netbase and a bunch of other
vital packages. In each case, dselect showed them as installed but the
relevant binaries were not anywhere on the hard drive. I've had to
delete and reinstall them.

Is there any way to generate a list that I can use to reconcile
what dselect/apt thinks is on my system with what is *really* on
my system?

As an aside. Could there be any *worse* behavior for a package manager?
I know I didn't just go off and delete things. At some point during
the apt-get dist-upgrade, the old versions were deleted and new ones
were *not* installed.

Doug