Emacs SSH... You have no controlling tty

Debian potato
GNU Emacs 20.7.2
SSH Version OpenSSH-1.2.3, protocol version 1.5.

I recently installed Debian on my laptop and I'm very happy with it.

Unfortunately, I cannot use my favorite editor to check the cvs status
of files that are accessible only through a ssh connection.

My friend has the same laptop with RedHat, and when he uses VC or
PCL-CVS to examine the status of the files, Emacs simple ask him its
password on the other machine... when mine fails with the message

Message: cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
Message:  Parser Error: 'You have no controlling tty.  Cannot read passphrase.'

I took a lot of time trying to understand better the default
configuration of ssh (which is more in Debian that it is in
RedHat ... at least is seems so) but I couldn't figure why it fails.

In fact, it may or may not be related to ssh.

Chris.

--
Christian Lemer
Service de Conformation des Macromolecules Biologiques et de Bioinformatique