Debian 2.2 Installation

Installation and beginning configuration of a Debian 2.2 system has been
eluding me for several days now.

I am running on an Intel Celeron 300A system with a RIVA TNT2 Ultra, a
SoundBlaster Live card, an HP 7200 CD-burner and a Memorex CD-202E.  I'm
having trouble configuring X-windows and sound.

I am a current Mandrake user who also finds the more competant package
management under GNU-Debian Linux quite seductive.  From the information
I've read, the RPM system that Mandrake subscribes to pales in comparison to
the power of Debian package management.  Updating your entire system at once
sounds like a dream.  (Similar to the Microsoft Windows Update which is a
nightmare!)

Do instructions regarding the installation and configuration of Debian that
are more detailed than the ones at www.debian.org exist?  I find myself
repeatedly asking, "Why can't Debian programmers use a more 'friendly'
installer such as Mandrake uses?".

Thank you,

Robert Tilley
tilleyrw@cfl.rr.com
The Tillarium -- Consulting in MAXIMO, ORACLE, and Internet Programming