Kernel build with kpkg (was Install of VMware)

On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 07:30:19AM -0700, Nuhn Yobiznez wrote:

>      Debian is great for newbie kernel building
> because it has a wonderful package called kpkg. This
> package does ALMOST everything for you! I highly
> recommend doing an apt-get for it! It simplifies the
> process to the point that after xconfig all you have
> to do is:
>       make-kpkg clean
>       make-kpkg --revision=custom.X.XX.XXXX kernel_image

I've successfully built a new kernel package with make-kpkg, but only if I use:

        fakeroot -- make-kpkg --revision=custom.X.XX.XXXX kernel_image

I've attempted to set the environment variable "ROOT_CMD='fakeroot --'" as
called out in the docs, but the package build always fails unless I include the
"fakeroot --" at the beginning of the command.  echo $ROOT_CMD correctly
returns "fakeroot --", so I know that the variable is set correctly.

Am I misreading the docs?

Here's the last few lines of messages when the build fails:

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.15'
touch stamp-build
rm -f -r ./debian/tmp-image ./debian/tmp-image.deb
test -f stamp-configure     || make -f /usr/share/kernel-package/rules
configure
test -f stamp-build         || make -f /usr/share/kernel-package/rules build
install -p -d -o root -g root -m 755 debian/tmp-image/DEBIAN
install: debian/tmp-image: Operation not permitted
make: *** [kernel-image-deb] Error 1

"DEBIAN" never gets created.  I'm running as thoover, and the permissions of
the directories are as follows (debian and tmp-image are created during the
make-kpkg process):

drwxr-sr-x    3 thoover  src          4096 Sep 23 13:24 debian/

drwxr-sr-x    2 thoover  src          4096 Sep 23 13:24 tmp-image/

--
Tom Hoover N5NTM <tom@hisword.net> - http://www.hisword.net/tom
    - checkout HisWord(tm) Palmtop Bible at the above URL -